Saturday, May 19, 2018

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Today I begin the arduous process of downsizing. We all think about doing it but do we all REALLY know what it takes to downsize? I have to downsize a FARM. Now its a small farm so no I do not have to get rid of lots of big things but even on a small farm there are things that accrue. Oh soooo much things. We will get to that but first I decided to start with my room.

My closet is the smallest space in my room yet it seems to hold the most so I decided to start there. My goal is a week to clean. That's probably being optimistic but I had to start somewhere. My jewelry box is in that room so I started with that. Bad decision. It stalled me in my tracks.

I laid out all, yes ALL, of my jewelry on the bed. Its a queen bed and it covered the entire thing. You cannot even see bed anymore. So... I found that I have acquired things from my travels, from my friends and family and I also have things from my Mother, Maternal Grandmother, Paternal Grandparents, Aunts, and extended family. I have many heirlooms. Only I found one hitch, I have no children of my own. I have the kidlets but we have become distant over the years. I have cousins but they too are distant. I try to keep in touch but I am less than perfect. Go figure.

So to remedy the situation I am taking photos of everything and if the thing has a story I am writing it as well. I will gather all these photos and stories into one place and let the kidlets and cousins decide if they want things I am parting with and even things that I am keeping so that I can put it in my will that they may have that item. Its the only thing I could come up with. After that I will extend that to friends and former students that I keep in touch with and after that I will sell whats left. Hows that for a plan? I like it so far. Maybe one day my jewelry stories can be collected into a book. Antonio, my former wwoofer, liked that idea and offered to read it so if one person reads it, to me that's a success!

SO off I go to start the process. I will try to share some here. Id love ideas of other ways to do this too. Its always good to brainstorm. Never hurts!

Here's to the beginning of my 2018 summer journey. May it free me for a new adventure this fall!

I already feel the power of downsizing. it is quite empowering to think you can free yourself by letting go of things. There is much to let go of here. I will be sad for some to go and happy for some to leave but the process will be treated as an adventure! I do love a good adventure!

If anyone wants to do it with me I will be glad to be your cheerleader in exchange for some people motivating me. I know me, I will get discouraged when the tough decisions come up.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you doing! Keep going and don't stop before you're done! Letting certain things go can really be freeing (From my fragmentary point of view). Probably a lot of things you're dealing with are materials, so I recommend to accept the fact that its material and even though you probably feel sentimental about it - no matter what it is, if you keep the person or the place it reminds you of in honor and memories it will never be gone anyway.
    Wish you the best of luck with it!

    I send love, luck and happiness your way! Of course to everybody at dragonflyranch!

    ReplyDelete